10 Homemade Dandruff Treatments
If you have dandruff and using those store bought shampoos are not helping get rid of it then try some of the remedies listed below. These can help manage the dandruff and lessen its severity without using harsh chemicals as some of the shampoos have.
- Apple Cider Vinegar. This is the most common one. The acidity of apple cider vinegar changes the pH of your scalp, hence making it harder for yeast to develop. Mix ½ cup of apple cider vinegar with ½ cup of water. Pour the mixture in a spray bottle and spritz on your scalp. Wash it off with water after 15 minutes. Vinegar will help get rid of unwanted skin that would flake off into dandruff and will help unclog the pores.
- Aspirin. Aspirin contains a large percentage of Salicylic Acid, an active ingredient in many of medicated dandruff shampoos. Take 2 Aspirin tablets and crush it into powder form. Add it to your regular shampoo before use. Leave the shampoo and Aspirin mixture on your hair for 2 minutes and then rinse well.
- Baking Soda. Baking soda is an essential ingredient to have in your house. It is used for many home remedies and in this case it helps to get rid of dandruff by exfoliating the scalp and get rid of excess dead skin. Simply mix one tablespoon of baking soda with 1 cup of water. Wet your hair and then rub the mixture into your scalp. Skip the shampoo and rinse it off. You can also add the baking soda to your regular shampoo and wash your hair with that. Related article: 21 Uses of Baking Soda
- Lemon. The acidity in lemon juice can help break down the fungus that causes the dandruff. Massage 2 tablespoons of lemon juice into scalp and let sit for at least 2 minutes. Next mix 1 teaspoon of lemon into 1 cup of water and rinse hair with the mixture. Lemon juice is free from harsh chemicals so it’s safe to use. Repeat daily until your dandruff disappears.
- Tea Tree Oil. Tea tree oil has been used as medicine for centuries. According to studies, shampoos with tea tree oil significantly improve the severity of dandruff. Mix 1 tablespoon of tea tree oil with 1 cup of warm water. Pour the mixture into a spray bottle. Shake well before use and spray the mixture all over the scalp and massage. Let it site for at least 2 minutes and then part the excess moisture out. Don’t rinse. Here are more uses of tea tree oil.
- Mouthwash. Mouthwash contains anti-fungal properties which prevent dandruff causing yeast from growing. Add 1 part of mouthwash to 2 parts of water. After shampoo, pour the solution onto your scalp and massage well. Let sit for about 25 to 30 minutes and rinse with water.
- Coconut oil. Like baking soda, coconut oil is also an essential ingredient for many home remedies. Coconut oil promotes the scalp health by fighting against lice and dandruff. It helps to moisturize dry hair. Before shower, massage about 3 to 4 tablespoons of coconut into your scalp and let sit for about 60 minutes. Shampoo and rinse well. Related article: Health Benefits of Coconut Oil
- Aloe Vera. Aloe Vera contains proteolytic enzymes which repairs dead skin cells on the scalp. It also acts as a great conditioner leaving your hair smooth and shiny. It promotes hair growth, prevents itching on the scalp and reduces dandruff. Apply about 3 to 5 tablespoons of Aloe Vera gel to the scalp. Let stand for 15 minutes. Wash with shampoo and rinse well.
- Salt. Salt helps loosen and remove flakes while stimulating circulation for a healthy scalp. It also absorbs excel oil and moisture to prevent fungal growth. Sprinkle 1 to 2 teaspoons of salt on to your dry or slightly dampened scalp. Massage your scalp gently for 10 to 15 minutes. Wash with shampoo and rinse.
- Fenugreek. Fenugreek is a spice particularly used in in Indian cuisine. There are many medicinal benefits of Fenugreek. Fenugreek seeds contain protein and nicotinic which are extremely useful against hair fall, dandruff and prevent hair dryness. Soak 2 tablespoons of Fenugreek seeds overnight in a bowl of water. Next morning grind them into a paste and apply to your scalp. Leave it on for 30 minutes then wash it off with shampoo.